Wednesday 25 February 2015

The Importance of Time (or Sometimes Not!)

One thing I have noticed about buying products in India is that there is less of a concept of a “line". (I have witnessed this in stores and planes mainly, yet never where I live, or at my office.) This is always so interesting to me, and simply illustrates the fact that so many people here have grown up in such huge crowds, jockeying for positions. This is simply a product of extreme population, a survival mechanism, that is often learned at an early age. No harm. I can certainly UNDERSTAND this phenomenon. If you don't "jockey" and "claim your space", you can easily get left in the dust here!

My computer mouse died in the last day, (and I CANNOT survive without the mouse). So, I went to a store last night to purchase another one. While I was buying it, at least 2 other customers came up and just popped in front of me, placing their items on the counter. As my credit card transaction was in process, and the guy had to turn his attention away from it, the buttons were not pushed in time, and the credit card machine (I suppose) stalled due to lack of attention. He ran my card again, and just as he was about to chat with someone else, the "Type A" (impatient) part of me kicked in. I suddenly became loud and clear, and I think I surprised the group of people around me! I said, “OK, let’s complete this transaction! Don’t leave! It will not take long!”. (If he would have walked away, I am pretty sure I would have grabbed his arm at this point.) This particular credit card has not failed me MY ENTIRE DURATION in India and I do not want to create an issue now. The funny thing here...is that everyone who knows me, is aware that I have a super-sweet sounding voice, so it takes quite the effort to take command of these situations, verbally. Most people who know me have not seen me in this "take charge mode", and it even surprises strangers as I move from the initial "sweet hello" to the take charge louder voice when things go off track. ha

Sometimes I feel like saying to those (who are clearly behind me "in line", yet in a hurry).....“OK, Patience, People!"....(to those who just cut in front), but I do try to remember my nature, and how Politeness and Kindness both count.

I do try as well to consider the "big picture" while I am in such a crowded country: Who cares if someone else goes first for a negligible purchase? It is not as if I am trading stocks on Wall Street, and Time is Money. (Now....THAT WOULD BE DIFFERENT!)

No comments:

Post a Comment