Sunday 8 February 2015

Anjuna "Wild Wednesday" Flea Market: The Bouncing Cow

There is a Wednesday market each week in Anjuna, Goa. It is a massive flea market with tons of booths, with trinkets, spices, clothes, accessories and many other “neat finds”. Every booth has an owner, some whom are laid back, and some....“the best Salespeople in the world”. Savvy and on fire to sell their merchandise. I feel as if haggling over a future car will now be a walk in the park. ha

I really loved the tops and some of the different Indian clothes, and so I bought some really neat tunics (one is my current favorite shirt that I own out of my whole current wardrobe), lightweight scarves, and bracelets. My friend Mary bought a gorgeous blanket with elephants on it that was pink, and required half of her suitcase to get home. Very worth it. She also bought journals and other souvenirs as well.

You have not been to a flea market in the world over, until you go to the Anjuna Flea Market. "Friends" are quickly made! If you smile, you are suddenly the pied piper, with a trail of eager booth owners asking you to visit their wares, and to please "not break your promise" if you say you are coming back! Once you get "in a booth”, sometimes it is challenging to get out, and that is where you quickly determine strategy, and this includes teamwork. Mary and I tag-teamed to ensure we stayed on track and did not succumb to too much pressure. Once you run out of money, it's KEY to avoid eye contact, and just move briskly through the crowd. If you engage, you appear interested and comments can suddenly range from "I love your hair!" to "I hate your blood!", from the same person within a minute. You have to laugh and not take it personally. I focused on the “I love your hair” part.

As I entered some booths, owners offered good prices (still a great revenue for them) and I appreciated the lack of pressure so much that I would always give an extra 100 rupees, just for the kindness.

The most interesting part of the market, besides the cool shirts I bought, and eating some excellent roasted corn from a vendor, was seeing "the bouncing cow". The man in the pictures I took and posted above, played his instrument, and the cow always responded. They were quite the team! My friend Mary took the most awesome video, attached here below, which shows their interactions. The man at one point lies down, and the cow places a hoof onto his mid-section, and bounces up and down. This cow is obviously “enlightened” with regards to how much pressure it can place. (Or else, there is a new cow owner ever week?....ha) The outcome of our show was good, with the cow lazily looking our way at the end of the show.

A colorful must-see flea market!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1kVZSmJdj8&sns=em
Video of Bouncing Cow taken by Mary D'Rozario

No comments:

Post a Comment