Thursday 19 February 2015

Indian Service and Hospitality

After eating so many meals in restaurants in India over the last 9 months, I want to share some quick comparisons. If you have ever eaten at a restaurant in the US, you will often be halfway through your meal and the wait staff will leave the bill and politely say “I am just leaving this for your convenience. Please let me know if you need anything else!”  This is fine, of course. They are busy, and want to stay on top of things.

Dining out in India is quite a bit different phenomenon. The first difference is that the food that arrives is ALWAYS “served” by the wait staff; you simply do not add the food from the communal service to your plate. I still attempt do this myself at times, and someone is always rushing over to “help me”, and probably wondering what the heck I am doing, and why I am not following the service protocol. I am just an independent person, and can spoon food onto a plate on my own. Of course, it is quite fancy to be “served” and I am not complaining! It is a nice treat of course.

The other main difference, which has applied to every single restaurant where I have eaten, is the laid back nature of the wait staff. No one is in a hurry, and you should not be either. Eating a meal out in India should be an experience, and not rushed. The more fancy the restaurant, of course, the more attention given. You can have a personal wait-staff kind of “hanging back”, with their eyes on you, watching your table’s moves, to see who has run out of paneer, daal, or whatever you are eating! They pop over fast, and are ready to serve you as your plate empties. If you want to feel like royalty, come to India and eat in a restaurant.

Finally, the wait staff are in no rush whatsoever to provide your bill. The restaurant can be full, and of course, being a waitress during college, I am thinking of table turnover, and “how much money I can make, if I move these people out, and a new party in”. The Indian staff do not have this mindset. They are thinking of your experience. It is quite nice. You actually have to make hand gestures and mouth “check please” when you are ready to go. (Not all restaurants, but most I have visited.)

Above, I am describing medium level to fancy restaurants, but you will also find differences in Fast Food places, too. KFC is THE main fast food restaurant in India. They are everywhere. I have eaten at quite a few, and the one near where I live in Marahathalli is just amazing. They are concerned that they provide you with HOT food, freshly cooked. Often you will pay, sit down, and they bring it to your table. The workers at places like this are so amenable to your needs and also attentive. (It is like you are back at the 5 star, yet...you are at KFC! haha). One memorable experience was when I sat down and waited for the guy to bring my tray, which he gave me and I began eating. Within a few minutes, another employee popped over, and I THOUGHT he said “You got (your) order?”,when in fact he was asking me “You want water?”. I said “Yes” of course (as I had my order!), and so he brought me some water!

It took me a while to figure this out, but now I have these language nuances down. They never fail to be interesting!




No comments:

Post a Comment