Sunday 15 February 2015

"Health versus Hair" in Bangalore

The cost of many products between the US and India are comparable, yet many services are less costly, while some are surprisingly exorbitant. Cab rides (if you can get one) are of course inexpensive: My guy will only charge 700 INRs (11-12 USDs) to pick me up, take me to my destination, then WAIT for me (while sitting in his car, for 4, 5 or 6 hours) and then take me home. I voluntarily give him twice the amount (22 USDs for approximately 5 hours of his time, car and gas), as his time, and dedication to waiting for me means so much. With the exchange rate, it seems the fair thing for me to do.

A lot of local food, again, as described prior, is an extreme bargain. Doctor’s visits, also surprisingly inexpensive. I do wonder how doctors here make money.

Hair coloring, on the other hand, can be extremely surprisingly expensive, and while I am not tight with my money, the cost does “blow my mind”. (My advice: If you are an expat coming to Bangalore, do not require blonde highlights ha).  I began going to a global chain at a Bangalore mall, as they can accommodate evening and weekend hours. As I went to pay my first bill, I was so shocked, I thought it must be incorrect. Of course, they did such a phenomenal job, despite the cost, and so I have made 2 subsequent appointments. Yet, I find that I spend over 200 USDs for cut and color, whereas in NC I spend 120 tops, sometimes less, depending on the service. I checked, and this particular chain is only located in NYC and Florida, in the US. So I thought to myself, maybe the prices there are exorbitant in the US as well, as they are in high cost areas? (NYC, etc) Yet, while searching online, I find I can get a color and cut in NYC for quite a bit less than here. (Half cost than here?) It is just a Bangalore phenomenon I suppose! More than likely, at this particular chain (which is again, awesome, and I am blessed to be able to afford the service) it is just a fancier service provider. I am sure there are quite a bit of salons in India that are not expensive at all. As I love my outcome (best color I have ever had, when I was so initially worried about hair color in India!) and am spending so much less on food and cabs, applying the rest to services such as hair is absolutely fine.

I do wonder how much of the total amount that the service professional gets, versus the salon “cut” of the profit.

A quick interesting comparison to me: When I have visited a medical doctor in Bangalore, it costs an average of 8 USDs, out of pocket. (Simply unbelievable.) Comparably, my hair, every 10 weeks, costs 240 USDs, here in Bangalore. Hmmmm....quite a difference!

A final note on this particular salon, is that they do offer coupons, which you need to buy at your current appt for your next appt. As I did return to the US twice, and also was never sure of my exact stay in Bangalore, or hair needs, I did not purchase these. I am sure they offer differential pricing, in times of lower demand (or maybe consistently), in the form of coupons as well. And of course, most Indians have luxurious dark hair and do not require blonde highlights! As Bangalore is filled with expats from locations such as the UK, AUS, US, etc who need color, a certain level of "advantage" can be taken by the salon, large-scale, with the knowledge that for women, good hair is priceless. I have been so thankful to find a good stylist in Bangalore!

No comments:

Post a Comment