Tuesday 10 March 2015

Health Camp Screening Continued: The Medical Volunteers, the Children, the Village, the Farm Animals and Finally...the Fire

The pictures posted here are just a small representation of everything that happened during this Health Camp. The days were full of surprises: Amazing people, selfless volunteers, great lunches.....and by the time I spotted the fire, I knew that "anything could happen here".

As stated from the previous blogs, the Volunteer Medical Health Screening Camp took place in an elementary school, within a rural village. The children who attend this school live close-by, and so were present and very interested in the activities of the Camp! They enjoyed the excitement of the day, and I was able to take a lot of pictures and awesome videos, some of them dancing. (Send me a private email if you would like to see this, as they are large files, but some of the most amazing footage that I have!) You would not believe how cute these dances were, as well as how sweet these children were. I never would have imagined it. These children were all over me, and “my magic camera”. They all wanted my name and phone number. haha  One medical volunteer, as seen above, in first picture posted (guy on left), would come outside as they surrounded me, and tell them to “move on”. He was very considerate, and concerned that I felt comfortable with everything that was going on! So the children would scatter when he would yell, and right when they saw him leave, they would immediately return. The guy pictured beside him, again in the first picture, was our driver (yet so much more than simply "a driver", and destined I personally think for success in whatever he chooses to do), who helped with so many other aspects of this camp, in addition, and was just the nicest guy. He possessed an awareness that is going to take him such a long way in life. So, above are several pictures of the children I had the honor to meet. One young boy, Mahesh (aka “the charmer”, who is holding the goat above), who I was SURE was only 8 or 9 years old, asked me things like “Will you be mine?” and told me “I will return to the US with you.” etc. He turned out to be age 13, yet looked, again, 8 or 9 years old at the most. I knew he was smarter than the average 9 year old!

Below are pictures of "the village" located 200 yards from the school: A man carrying surgarcane, women with their prized cows, roosters, a fire in the field “controlled by the wind of the day”, and other pictures. This was just a phenomenal, close-knit village of lovely people, that welcomed me as I walked through with my camera. Some of the friendliest (and happiest) people I have ever met. As I observed, there was constant construction that was ongoing. (bricklaying, hut-building, drywalling, etc). Just constant improvements being made by the people of this village, to their surroundings and living conditions.

2 more blogs to come on the weekend…..including food (pictures of fried brown onion balls with an Indian name that I do not remember, but best snack ever!), and other topics. To come....

5 comments:

  1. Hi Pam .. Been reading your various Blog Posts today. They are lovely. Thanks for presenting the positives. And candid non judgemental pics and take on what you observed.

    And so, Thanks for blogging. It is simply pleasure to read your posts.

    Sagi Krishna Prasad, Bangalore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi .. by the way the Guy is carrying Bamboo .. probably for the Hut. .. Not Sugarcane.

    Sagi KP, Bangalore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sagi KP, for reading! This was my favorite village of people I met while in India. Great people. Thx for writing. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sagi KP, for reading! This was my favorite village of people I met while in India. Great people. Thx for writing. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sagi KP, for reading! This was my favorite village of people I met while in India. Great people. Thx for writing. Pam

    ReplyDelete