Friday 22 August 2014

Oh, Brother!

My company shipped a crate of personal items that I had pre-packed, when I arrived in Bangalore. Well, I never found my tweezers, but everything else made it just fine. In Bangalore, there are no Walgreens nor Wal-Marts. I asked to go out to a place to buy some tweezers. The guys at the desk gave a blank stare. I began making a “plucking gesture” with my hands. (Not a good look for me, I am sure, but they finally understood.) “Pluckers!” They said. Yes….I needed “pluckers”. They said “You need to go to The Fancy Shop”. I thought “how interesting”…wondering towards what kind of a venue I was heading. Fancy, indeed! There are SO MANY little storefronts with random names in Bangalore, and so eventually we arrived at a small store, and after going through the hand gestures once again, they pulled out some tweezers from underneath a wooden counter. Yes! I also found, at this Fancy Shop, some bracelet bangles and earrings. They seemed to be selling things like headbands, etc as well. The store was probably 25 feet by 10 feet. I was so lucky to have “landed” on this set of tweezers in such a large city! I was fascinated and, however, a bit unsettled by the branding on these tweezers. The packaging said “Tweezers, Scissors, Ear Pick”. My mind turned to the young Indian people who would read this and think it is OK to stick these in their children’s ears to dig out peas, plastic toy soldiers and other objects. Oh no! I felt the need to start a personal campaign to get these tweezers re-branded, off the street. haha They are the most SHARPLY pointed tweezers I have ever owned (the best tweezers, actually, precision-wise), manufactured and branded in another Asian country. I can only think, that they are an actual surgical instrument that ended up by mistake….in “The Fancy Shop”.

No comments:

Post a Comment