Wednesday 13 August 2014

Monks near Mysore









A few years ago, I purchased the book “Diary of a Korean Zen Monk” on my IPAD, fascinated by the day to day lives of these particular monks. It made me feel quite guilty for purchasing that 7th Kate Spade bag, taking such long showers, and not “couponing”. One example of how strict their lives were maintained is described in the book as quoted here...”December has come. When the winter retreat enters the second half, every seonbang observes Yongmaeng Jeongjin practice. Yongmaeng Jeongjin refers to the practice of never-lying-down-to-sleep. This practice continues an entire week.” The book continues, with sentences like “The most extreme pain leads to peace”, and goes on to describe vows of silence, that were even to be maintained while eating “special dumplings” in a group setting (think: Habanera hot, or super salty). Or even...complete restriction of food: “The monk who has been eating only raw vegetables and uncooked grains declared that he would begin a solitary fasting retreat…”. I was simply in awe after reading the book, and thinking that maybe the venti size macchiato really is a bit extravagant, every single morning. Being myself, a "giggler", a foodie, a fan of the mattress, these monks intrigued me. So, when I discovered I would be visiting India, and there were so many monasteries that could be visited by the public, I looked forward to seeing this firsthand. I visited the Namdroling Monastery (Golden Temple) in Bylakuppe (same state as Bangalore). First of all, let me say that it was a beautiful setting and the most colorful place I had visited to date, as far as architecture and grounds. Very green with lots of trees, beautiful flowers, an unrecognizable group of fowl on the lawn, and even a cat (first one I saw in India). Being from NC, however, and not familiar with any Tibetan Buddhist background except this random Zen Monk book, I was in for quite a surprise. These monks did not seem to be silent...reflective...diminished...in pain...sleep-deprived. Rather, these monks were on the move. They were leaving the grounds on motorcycles, texting on cell phones, wearing crocs, and “hanging out”. As I drove through the town, I swear I saw one eating potato chips from a roadside stand. I asked my colleague, when I returned to work, to “enlighten me” on all of this unexpected activity. He provided some good info....He explained that monks (at this particular temple), in general, do go into society (perhaps one day per week?) in order to keep their fingers on the pulse of general news, events, human sufferings, etc so they can take this knowledge with them, back to the monastery. Quite an intriguing experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment