Sunday 24 August 2014

Indians are Fearless


Indian labor workers are daring, fearless, and have proven to me time and again, that “This is actually probably safe after all”. I have seen caution thrown to the wind, and in the end, no one gets hurt. I used to worry about the workers on the scaffoldings in RTP…

I have taken shots of 2 examples:
The first: There are water tanks (above what is pictured) and pipes that need to receive maintenance on the roof of this (1st) building. One day I saw a “ladder” placed. You can possibly tell from this picture that the ladder is very “stick-like”. No metal, and not even re-enforced materials of any kind. I stuck with the event, as I was sure someone was about to climb it once it was placed. I thought, sure enough, someone would be holding the ladder for safety, as it was not entirely "even" (not to mention twig-like steps). But, no...a Fearless Indian emerged, and climbed it like he does this sort of thing every day! Alone on the roof of this building, he was. I had my phone ready. I was ready to hit the Emergency Dial. But, he made it. He stood on a concrete barrier (12-18 inches tops) and attended to the pipes. On another day (and I tried to have my camera ready and did not!) he climbed above this particular structure to a 2nd roof of concrete (which you can see, above the "roof" of the pipes, pictured above in 1st 3 pics) without the ladder or any other assistance, and then when done, swung his body back over the side and miraculously made it to the 1 foot lip of concrete where the ladder rests (still 30 feet in the air). He basically defied the laws of momentum. I did not speak much the rest of the day, I was in such awe. I reconsidered my comfort levels at work. I really have it made.

The 2nd set of 3 pictures is of a building across a street where I had to really zoom, to capture an equally fearless Indian worker, who was on a lip of concrete not more than 1 foot. Tending to pipes, or electricity. He was just there…and it is the most amazing thing to me. I bet neither of these Indians “make a big deal” about this at the end of their days, either. They probably eat a curry dish and think of whatever Indian workers think about. (Or they wonder who that crazy woman was, taking such interest in them “while they were trying to work”).

No comments:

Post a Comment