Tuesday 30 September 2014

Train to Mysore and the Maddur Vada

On the way to Mysore this past weekend, we took a train. I was not sure what to expect, as it would go all the way from Bangalore to Mysore for only 60 INRs. This is about equal to 1 USD. Unbelievable, when you really think about this.

I, like probably many expats living abroad, have frustrating experiences, which I “make light of” as humorous, or just do not share publicly, but let me assure you….. that this was NOT one of those experiences. Exactly the opposite, in fact. I was nervous at the prospect of taking a crowded train in a foreign country, but the moment I got off that train, I had this blog already prepared in my head. And I know I will take this exact same train, again, at some point in the future.

We arrived at the train station at 5:40ish to take the 6AM train which would arrive in Mysore at 9ish. (It would have arrived sooner, but we stopped twice due to single line rails and passing trains.) The Bangalore train station is BUSY at this early morning hour, as I am sure it remains all day. Public officials are diligent in moving car traffic outside the station through the lanes. As we were getting out of the car, I had my door open to jump out, and then realized I needed to sign something, and suddenly 3 officials were practically in the car, saying “something”. For a brief moment I asked “Are we being robbed?” These guys just wanted my door SHUT or for me to get out so the car could move along. Busy times at the Bangalore railway station! The line to buy a ticket moves very quickly, and again, any additional value applied, then this railway would be paying YOU to travel!

There are a LOT of trains leaving this station. I think someone said 1K depart and arrive daily. We found our train and luckily found an unoccupied window, as I wanted to see views. Each “open seating cabin” area has 2 cushioned benches that face each other. There is room for about 3 across, so 6 total (comfortably). If you ride this train you want to sit beside a window. Then, above, there are bunks where you can stretch out and sleep. 2 men were above us sleeping the entire trip! What made this train trip the BEST train trip I have ever been on….was the fact that you can open and close the huge windows, and feel fresh air as the train is travelling, and feel that much closer to “the outside”. It was quiet, peaceful with the most beautiful views along the way. The next blog posted will contain pictures taken from the train of the views.

On the train, they walk up and down the aisles periodically with coffee or snacks. There is a town halfway between Bangalore and Mysore called Maddur. From this town, and this town only, comes a snack called a Maddur Vada. We got one and it was hot, and looked like a big cookie. I expected to taste oatmeal, but it is actually a flat fritter with onions and other savory ingredients in it. As onions are one of my favorite foods, this was quite a tasty snack!!! It was 10 INRs...and absolutely delicious. I proceeded to share how doctors say that the smell of cooked onions can help someone who is having trouble falling asleep. My friend assured me that we had a full day and it was not the time to go to sleep.

I can say without hesitation that I will take this exact train route at some point in the future again, while I am in Bangalore, to travel to this lovely location of Mysore (where the train station in Mysore is central to everything in the city), and eat another Maddur Vada along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment