Sunday 7 September 2014

Busy Sunday in Bangalore, Buses, and Biriyani

I was introduced to a contact in Bangalore through a colleague from work. This young guy is active in so many various social programs, and is running or facilitating several initiatives and projects. These programs range from areas of healthcare, women’s and children’s issues, schools/education, and his personal favorite: environmental concerns, one example being plastic recycling. So many things we take for granted in most parts of the US. Had an (my favorite word) Amazing…day! It was my first time taking public transportation in Bangalore; we got a Day Pass and caught 6 or 7 buses. Crossed busy streets on foot! Adrenaline pumping activities for sure. I basically did everything I was told not to do while in Bangalore. I snaked through moving buses, cars and rickshaws on the street, where motorcycles can come out of nowhere. I think that when you are with a native you suddenly become more brave? Or else just don’t want to seem “chicken”! It was definitely the most alert I have been while in Bangalore, crossing busy streets on foot.

Most importantly, I was able to become familiar with this guy’s areas of focus, education and background, all very impressive. Today, I was able to participate in a session where women educators, storytellers and volunteers presented a program to about 8 eager children. It focused on what is acceptable behavior by adults to children (known adults, or strangers), and what is not acceptable, and ended with providing them actual whistles to blow in case of emergency. I said jokingly, “I need one of those!” and they had a whistle around my neck in less than 30 seconds, asking if I’d prefer a different color! Just a wonderful, fun, genuine, energetic group of people. Many neat activities, and a lot of preparation went into this session, where the adults had as much fun as the children.

I talked a lot with this individual about his ideas, asking about “donations” and what is the best way to contribute to his initiatives, and he related that writing a check is just simply not the answer. It is, rather, providing education, and donating personal time in the community, and linking in with key idea people who can affect change. He has fabulous ideas. I left with so much admiration for his diligence towards social responsibility!

We also visited a park, a temple, pictured above, which was located beside a metro. (I did not catch the name of this temple.) I took 2 pictures while sitting outside, one of a sleeping dog.

We had one meal in the middle of the day of coconut rice, which was fabulous, and ended the day eating chicken biriyani, which I have had twice now in Bangalore. It is basically tender, juicy chicken pieces cooked in spices, in a potential variety of ways depending on the cook. Served with a long grain rice and spicy curries, etc. We had the choice of eating on a plate or a banana tree leaf and so OF COURSE chose the banana tree leaf! Picture of “banana tree plate" below, before placing dinner on it. Was fabulous, and cost was only 206 INRs which was around 3.50 USDs for 2 people.



No comments:

Post a Comment