Saturday 13 September 2014

Flight to Trivandrum

I have flown twice now domestically while in India, and use sites such as Makemytrip, etc to compare fares. You never see Delta or American flying from one Indian city to another, obviously, so I am getting used to a whole new set of airlines! Including Jetspice, Indigo, and now JetKonnect, the latter which I have since researched, and who seemingly owns partner airlines Jet Airways Konnect, and JetLite.

Well, this weekend, on Friday I flew JetKonnect to Trivandrum to meet up with a dear friend and colleague who grew up in India, and is now here from the US, (whom I have known since 2005) visiting his family in India for a few weeks. He offered to host a fun visit for me in the city of Thiruvananthapuram and Verkala for a weekend (see next blog) with surrounding areas included. So I booked a flight and chose the most economical as far as good flight times. A round trip flight from Bangalore to Trivandrum (1 hour flight) Friday to Monday costs about 175 USDs typically, including taxes. So....I arrive at the airport, and just to give the seemingly "regular" followers of this blog (expats looking to move to India, or expats already here, and friends, family and colleagues from home), some info, flying in India domestically has some interesting differences! There are security lines specifically for women or men, only. You step through the normal security machine and then enter an enclosed curtained room where you are wanded and patted down, if you are a woman, by a woman.

So back to this flight....I headed to my gate and we boarded on time. Takeoff time was 1745. I board and I know this is an hour long flight, tops, with 200 passengers on board, so I don't expect a coke nor a cookie. We are all buckled in and ready to go on time. There are a few empty seats, and 2 kids are screaming as if they have just been told that if we encounter an emergency, there will be no oxygen for them. I know that I can tune this out, so I get ready for a quick no coke plane flight. Wait, there is an attendant walking the aisle with a nice tray of cookies for everyone! Great! There is a lady across the aisle who pulls out a tiny green liquid packet. She opens it and smells it. So does the entire rest of the plane! We are all turning and wondering "WHAT IS THAT????" It smells like a (strong) mix of Listerine and Pine Sol. Dear Lord. She uses this to clear her sinuses. I know now that losing cabin pressure is now not the only way to pass out on this flight.

So, we all get cookies and I think how much I appreciate the efficiency of this Indian JetKonnect airline, to serve a snack before the engines even are on. It is like we are all in first class or something! Then...I hear the pilots come over the loud speaker. The man says...(keeping in mind we are due to take off), "There are about 10 people on their way and we will be waiting for them". I think to myself.... "The overhead bins are shut, and where are these 10 people, and why has no other airline ever waited on me?" Haha. I suddenly feel that JetKonnect truly cares about their clientele. If I had missed my connection, they would be waiting on me right now! These 10 showed up after a few, and we all take off. Then the biggest surprise of all for this short flight: Almost before the seat belt sign goes off, I see attendants heading down the aisle of this huge plane with full trays of hot meals! I immediately decide that JetKonnect is "The Kind Airline, who not only waits on people after absolute last call, but has determined a way to feed 200 passengers in less than an hour". This airline has seriously got it together, as far as efficiency and customer service. We are served a full tray of food that includes a piping hot (I kid you not!) big sandwich, a chocolate muffin, a juice carton and a bottle of water. They awaited late passengers, served pre-take off cookies, and a full meal on an hour-long flight.

When you fly domestically in a foreign country, and aren't familiar with any of the airline brands, after you take one like JetKonnect, you tend to remember the great experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment