Sunday 12 October 2014

Uber cabs in Bangalore

The biggest difference for me, living in Bangalore, is not having a car to just “get out and go” whenever I want. If I am going anywhere, a bit of planning is required. Recently, I have discovered UBER cabs, which are phenomenal. I have an App on my phone and press a button, and it shows the nearest cab and driver’s ETA. (17 minutes out, etc.) A picture of the driver’s face actually pops up, so you can see who you are about to meet, with his name. Also brand and model of car. With the satellite, I can actually watch him make his way towards me on the screen.

I have been very impressed with all of the drivers, the condition of their cars, and the cost is very affordable. They all arrive, and I am in my normal position, holding up my phone up to the window excitedly, saying “Babu? Is this you??”, as Babu smiles, and off we go.

So today I went to a salon and was there (a lot) longer than I thought, and had left with a half charged phone. Time to leave, and I realize the Uber app is spinning and not responding. I am cutting off my phone and cutting it on frantically, and finally get an Uber signal a half hour later, and then, Hallelujah, “Abhijeet” is only 49 minutes away! I know my phone will not make it 49 minutes, and I don’t want to lose touch with Abhijeet, no matter what (as they normally need to call and find you once they get there). Bangalore is so busy with crowds, how will Abhijeet find me without my phone turned on? I call him and tell him my phone is dying. I am not sure if he understands. I text him a description of the sign I will be standing under. I tell him I am blonde. I wish I knew how to say “I am BLONDE, my phone is DYING” in Hindi all of a sudden. Before I turn off my phone, I see his car on the satellite moving towards me. Then...I see him doing what looks like a U-turn, and his car is moving AWAY from me, and suddenly the ETA is longer than before. Oh no! Abhijeet, where are you going? I cannot lose this man in the middle of Bangalore with no back-up and no phone. Thankfully, he did find me, and I swore then and there, that I am getting a 2nd phone, adding the Uber app, and also a battery charger back-up!

Personally, Uber is so valid and dependable, that I am 100% confident that Abhijeet would have parked that car and spent an hour trying to find me if we had missed each other. Highly recommend Uber in India.

No comments:

Post a Comment