Friday 30 January 2015

The Relaxing Beaches of Goa: Part 1


During the last week, I visited Goa, India’s smallest state, located on the Western shore, known and loved by tourists all around for its beaches and weather. This trip was planned by my friend Mary from the US, last September, and we have been looking forward to the week for some time. I will write several blogs about the experience…the beautiful beaches, the food, the people, the insight we gained, the Wild Wednesday market, and a bit of Goan history. It was a great experience to have a friend you have known for 10+ years visit you in India, and be able to experience the things we did: The high temps (90F), while the upper eastern US got 3 feet of snow, me constantly comparing “the differences between the culture here in Goa to the culture in Bangalore”, us determining which beaches to visit, our discussions over food, books, and the differences in cab drivers, both within Goa itself, and between Goa and Karnataka. Discussions over the type of tourists here in Goa now, the reasons behind why it may be a slow season for foreigners compared to years past, and finally, simply, the confusion over why the electrical plugs I use in Bangalore are falling out of the wall here, and require props. (I am on vacation and need a good challenge. Think: Travel size shampoo bottles.) Me having a chat with the front desk guy over internet connectivity, telling him that “I will be right here with you until I am logged onto this device”. Haha (I was then logged on within the minute!)

I am posting some quickie pictures here that will have some background attached in future blogs. The last picture you will see posted, shows plants in the shape of elephants. I took that shot directly as we were waiting for our cab, and and as it pulled up, I told Mary that I would get in the side of the car which was sitting in the road, in traffic. She told me to “Be careful!”. I wondered, and asked her, “ Do you mean…be careful of the traffic, our irritated cab driver, or of that angry wild pig that just ran across the street?” 
(It was huge, and running at full speed.)

As I have been in Bangalore for 6+ months, the locals tell me that everything changes as you move 80 kms in each direction (the food, the language, the people), and I am certainly not one to doubt, now that I have lived in Bangalore and visited Trivandrum, Agra, Delhi, Mysore (twice) and now Goa!

I highly recommend a vacation to one of the many beaches of Goa...just an excellent week, on which I cannot wait to elaborate! Much more to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment